BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, September 12, 2014

Death of a Hero


Empty. The barley standing, falling apart mess was empty.
Despite the loud moans of the house settling into the earth,
the silence awoke me, ringing in my ears.
Barefooted, in an oversized t-shit, I ran from room to room panicking.
Frightened, anxious, alone, I peered out of the window.
Realizing that no one was home, I crawled into a ball and cried.
Feeling as though I had sat there forever, I began to wonder.
Why did they leave, where did they go, what do I do?
As I began strategizing, the front door creaked open,
He walked in. My superhero, my best friend, my dad.
Holding me as tight as a seven year old should be held,
I blamed him for leaving me as I sobbed into his work shirt.
I was just outside, he said sympathetically.
I would never leave you.
His words, so strong, and so reassuring echoed.


Then, I found myself barley standing. Falling apart, a mess, empty.
While the voices of those around me were loud and unbearable,
I stood there, unable to breathe, consumed by silence.
Exposed, in my funeral clothes, my mind raced from memory to memory panicking.
Numb, confused, alone, I peered into the casket at the crushed, swollen face.
Realizing he wouldn’t wake up, I fell to the floor and began to sob.
Feeling like this day would never end, reality flooded my mind.
Why did he have to leave, where did his spirit go, what do I do?
As I stood there in shock, I remembered the door creaking open.
He will no longer walk in. My superhero, my best friend, my dad.
He will never hold me again like any young girl should be held,
And again, I blamed him for leaving me as I sobbed over his casket.
Laying there, he said nothing.
You promised you never leave me.
My whisper, so desperate, and so lost echoed

No comments:

Post a Comment